Thursday, January 8, 2009

My boyfriend has cancer

We found out this week that Curtiss has stomach cancer.
We don't know what stage. We know that it is a malignant adenocarcinoma (95% of all stomach cancers are) We don't know how long it has been growing or if it has spread to other organs or lymph nodes. He had a CAT scan yesterday and the doc hasn't read it yet. He has read the pathology report and prescribed pain meds for C. and promised to get an app't with a top gastric surgeon and presumably an oncologist. It has been 4 years since my struggle with breast cancer, which fortunately was discovered at an early and curable stage. Very little early stage stomach cancer is found because it doesn't have symptoms until later. The picture for my lover, companion of past 8 years is grim. But not hopeless. I find it hard to believe that his cancer could have metastacized because he has not lost his appetite, has not lost weight, and has no blood in his stool. He does have pain where the tumor is. We thought it was only an ulcer. Did not expect this diagnosis. It is rare in men his age (45) We only hope and pray that his youth and strength will help him fight this. We haven't told family yet (except my son, who is home from college and has been very supportive.) I need help to cope with this. I am crying a lot but try not to let him see. I have to be brave to help him get well.

1 comment:

Scissors MacGillicutty said...

Make sure his insurance is paid up!!!